Outdoor living spaces can be little slices of paradise in your own back yard. Maybe your ideal patio has bistro seating, or perhaps a couple chaise lounge chairs for soaking up the sun. Whatever your vision, it’s important to consider the size of your space, how it will be used, and your budget before you commit to an outdoor furniture set. Use this list as a guide before you invest in your dream patio or porch seating.
- Function. Do you host barbecues or enjoy outdoor dining? Is your outdoor space more ideal for deep cushioned reading chairs and a small side table? The first thing you need to determine is how you envision your space being used, and then figure out which type of furniture is best for you.
- Material. Most outdoor patio furniture falls into one of the falling material types: wood, poly, or metal. Each material has benefits, and ultimately, it depends on your budget and taste. Wood has a classic, natural appeal that fits well in outdoor spaces. Some woods are more water and weather resistant than others, so if you decide to go with a wood product, understand that it may require some maintenance to keep it in good shape. Poly furniture appeals to those looking for a low-maintenance, highly weather resistant material. It comes in a rainbow of colors, is heavy, and stands up to harsh sun.
- Cushions. Consider whether you want decorative cushions or pillows as part of your seating area. Materials have evolved to be breathable, waterproof, and attractive, so if you’re interested in a little extra cushion on your seating, a style that holds up to weather may be a good choice for you.
- Space. How big is your patio or deck? Before you purchase an outdoor sectional, make sure you measure your space and select a set that matches the scale of your area. Larger areas can obviously handle more furniture, while smaller spaces become ideal for bistro and conversation sets.
- Storage. If you live in an area where the weather changes drastically in the winter, you’ll want to make sure you have a safe, dry place to store your furniture. Some pieces can be stacked and folded to become more compact. Consider this when looking at your options.
Styles range from cushioned to dining, outdoor sofas to gliders, swings, and benches. Whatever your taste, there’s certainly a seating arrangement that will fit your taste and budget. Kauffman Lawn Furniture has a large outdoor showroom where you can come and test out your favorite styles. No matter what you decide, be sure to do your homework before you make your choice.